Having a domain name is essential for setting up a website. However, when you are about to get domain names, there are many factors to consider. Otherwise, this may become an obstacle, especially for beginners.
In this article, we will cover seven tips to consider before you buy a domain name. We’ll go over the important aspects, such as domain pricing, Wrike pricing registrar reliability, transparency, and security.
Let’s dive into the tips to create a lasting and reliable domain name.
1. Choose a Niche
Choosing a niche is recommended before purchasing a domain. You can match the domain name with it for a more professional image.
For example, if you are interested in digital marketing, it’s a good practice to research specific niches, such as social media and content marketing.
There are two ways of selecting a good niche to base your domain name on:
- Pick one that matches your passions or interests.
- Research potential competitors to find out what is trending and decide on a more profitable niche.
2. Check the Pricing
Most registrars offer budget-friendly domains. That said, remember to always double-check for any hidden fees. This way, you’ll avoid incurring extra costs when registering a domain.
Look out for auto-renewal and transfer fees. Domain registrars cannot charge additional fees without notifying users first, so make sure to review all documentation before you make the purchase.
Here are four tips to make sure you don’t overpay:
- Know the actual costs and don’t be tempted by multi-year offers where prices may get higher after the first year.
- Check for any additional fees in the domain registrar’s documentation.
- Consult customer reviews.
- Compare the registrar to its competitors.
3. Look For TLD Alternatives
It doesn’t always need to end with .com or .net. There are other great top-level domain (TLD) alternatives to choose from.
Each TLD is priced differently because of its reputation and the practices an individual registrar has in place. So, make sure to review and compare prices before committing.
Here are three tips to find a perfect TLD alternative for your website:
- Know the purpose of your website. If you want to build a general-purpose website, a TLD like .online will suit you well.
- Compare the prices of TLDs at different registrars. This is a good solution to find a domain that suits your needs and budget.
- Consider .xyz, a broad-purpose TLD that doesn’t cost much.
4. Create a Short but Meaningful Name
A good name should be easy to remember while representing the brand or business. For example, choosing a domain name containing the word Tech lets people immediately associate the site with a technology-related niche.
Here are two additional tips:
- Use a thesaurus to find synonyms for any taken domain name.
- Employ a domain name generation or suggestion tool.
5. Claim the Social Media Handles
Claiming the social media handles similar to your domain name is a strategic step to consider. They will be beneficial to your website’s promotion and growth.
Here are steps to secure social media profiles you can associate with your website:
- Create a unique domain name.
- Check the availability of the desired handle on every social media platform.
- Create the accounts to secure your social media handles.
6. Prioritize Domain Privacy Protection
Check whether the domain registrar you’re considering provides domain privacy protection. Freely available personal details are susceptible to scamming and spamming attempts.
The service costs extra – between $2 and $20 a year – but is well worth the investment. Once domain privacy is implemented, your personal data that’d be normally visible on the WHOIS database will be hidden behind the registrar’s details.
7. Avoid Hyphens, Double Letters, and Numbers
To ensure your domain name is legible and easy to understand, avoid using hyphens, double letters, and numbers.
Using these symbols in a domain name may affect its readability – visitors may misspell or forget to use them. Moreover, people may consider your domain to be a spam domain, leading to decreased traffic volumes.
Here are two tips to create a good domain name:
- As mentioned before, use a domain name generator for a unique, legible name.
- Ask your friends and family for help brainstorming name ideas.
With these seven tips, we’re sure you’ll be able to come up with a secure and reliable domain name. Here is a recap of what we have discussed:
- Choose a niche.
- Check for any hidden fees.
- Create a short but meaningful name.
- Consider TLD alternatives.
- Claim the social media handles.
- Secure your privacy.
- Avoid hyphens, double letters, and numbers in the domain name.
Now you are closer to building a successful and trusted online business. Make sure to implement this information before you purchase a domain name. We wish you good luck!