The Argentina national football team and the Netherlands national football team have played each other 10 times, with the Netherlands winning 4 matches, Argentina winning 1 match, and 5 matsches ending in a draw. The two teams have met 6 times in the FIFA World Cup, with the Netherlands winning 2 matches and Argentina winning 1. The other 3 matches ended in a draw, including two victories for Argentina in the World Cup knockout stages via penalty shootouts (2014 and 2022).
Table of Contents
Argentina vs. Netherlands Head-to-Head Record
- Matches played: 10
- Netherlands wins: 4
- Argentina wins: 1
- Draws: 5
- Goals scored by Netherlands: 14
- Goals scored by Argentina: 12
FIFA World Cup
- Matches played: 6
- Netherlands wins: 2
- Argentina wins: 1
- Draws: 3
- Goals scored by Netherlands: 10
- Goals scored by Argentina: 8
Last 5 Matches
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Semifinal: Argentina 4-2 Netherlands (after extra time)
- 2022 FIFA World Cup Quarterfinal: Argentina 2-2 Netherlands (Argentina won 4-3 on penalties)
- 2006 FIFA World Cup Group Match: Netherlands 0-0 Argentina
- 1998 FIFA World Cup Group Match: Netherlands 2-1 Argentina
- 1995 FIFA U-20 World Cup Semifinal: Argentina 2-0 Netherlands
As you can see, the head-to-head record between Argentina and the Netherlands is very close. Both teams have won 4 matches each, and there have been 5 draws. Argentina has a slight edge in the FIFA World Cup, with 1 win to the Netherlands’ 2. However, the Netherlands has won the last 2 matches between the two teams.
The Netherlands have scored a total of 19 goals against Argentina, while Argentina have scored 14 goals against the Netherlands.
The Netherlands’ biggest victory against Argentina was a 4-0 win in a friendly match on June 26, 1974. Argentina’s biggest victory against the Netherlands was a 2-1 win in the 2014 FIFA World Cup semi-final.
World Cup Record
The two teams have met 6 times in the FIFA World Cup, with the Netherlands leading the head-to-head record with 2 wins to Argentina’s 1. The other 3 matches have ended in draws.
Other Notable Matches
The two teams have also met in many other notable matches, including the 1978 FIFA World Cup final (which Argentina won 3-1), the 1998 FIFA World Cup quarter-final (which the Netherlands won 2-1), and the 2022 FIFA World Cup quarter-final (which Argentina won 4-3 on penalties after the match was drawn 2-2 after extra time).
The Argentina and Netherlands national football teams have a long and storied rivalry. The two teams have met in some of the biggest matches in international football, and the head-to-head record is very close. The rivalry is sure to continue for many years to come.
What Are Some Of The Most Memorable Matches Between Argentina And The Netherlands?
Some of the most memorable matches between Argentina and the Netherlands include:
- 1974 FIFA World Cup group stage: Netherlands 4-0 Argentina. This match saw the Dutch Total Football team at their best, with Johan Cruyff scoring two goals and providing another assist.
- 1978 FIFA World Cup final: Argentina 3-1 Netherlands (after extra time). In this match, Argentina won their first World Cup title, with Mario Kempes scoring two goals.
- 1998 FIFA World Cup quarter-final:Netherlands 2-1 Argentina. Dennis Bergkamp scored a memorable winning goal in this match, chipping the ball over the Argentinian goalkeeper from a tight angle.
- 2014 FIFA World Cup semi-final:Argentina 0-0 Netherlands (after extra time, Argentina won 4-2 on penalties). This was a tense and evenly matched match, with Argentina eventually winning on penalties after Sergio Romero saved a penalty from Wesley Sneijder.
These matches are all memorable for different reasons. The 1974 match is remembered for the Dutch Total Football team at their peak, the 1978 match for Argentina’s first World Cup title, the 1998 match for Bergkamp’s iconic goal, and the 2014 match for its intensity and drama.
In addition to these World Cup matches, the two teams have also played some memorable friendlies over the years. For example, in 1999, the two teams played a friendly in Amsterdam which ended in a 1-1 draw. The match was notable for the return of Diego Maradona to the Argentinian national team, after four years out due to a suspension for doping.
Argentina and the Netherlands have a long and storied rivalry, and their matches are always eagerly anticipated. The two teams are known for their attacking flair and their passion for the game, which makes for some of the most exciting matches in international football.
Argentina and the Netherlands have a long and competitive rivalry. The two teams have met 10 times in international football, with the Netherlands winning four matches, Argentina winning one, and the other five matches ending in draws. The two teams have met six times in the FIFA World Cup, with the Netherlands winning three matches, Argentina winning two, and the other match ending in a draw.